Friday, February 25, 2011

Too soon?

Is it spring yet? Is it spring yet? Okay, I know it's a bit early for it, but the inside of my house can't handle another project just yet. Since the weather has warmed a bit, I moved things outdoors for the (~doot-da-doot-DOO~) first garden project of the year! (crowd cheers....)

I've been watching Super Gardens the past few weeks, a show where amature Irish gardeners compete to design a show garden for BLOOM. The gardens were great, and now when I go outside, my garden looks bo-ring. I decided I needed to step it up for the garden competition I hold inside my head every year and give my yard some wow.


Project #1 - make a raised planting bed using chicken wire, buckets, and dirt.

step one: make a frame with chicken wire, one for the ouside wall, and one circle inside to fill with rocks (both to save dirt, and to stabilize the second tier.)

step two: fill inside frame with large and small rocks, and outside frame with soil.

step three: drill holes in a large bucket and then cover in a cylinder of chicken wire. Fill bucket with large rocks on the bottom, and dirt on top; plant something beautiful in it (mine has a rose bush).

step four: rub dirt/compost on the outside of the mesh till it fills the space between the wire and the bucket. (now you can't tell there's a bucket inside)

I covered the top tier with moss, something very abundant around here. I've had this project in my mind for a long time, a geometric structure covered in moss. Hopefully it will 'take', as it has in almost every other corner of the garden. As it's a bit too early to plant anything here, I'll have to wait to see how it looks with actual plants. In the meantime, I'll be nursing my arms back to health from the chicken-wire-shredding they got.

No comments:

Post a Comment